This tutorial is an addition of a previous tutorial. In case you need help for the basics how to setup a portfolio please have a look there first:
In case you are already familiar how to setup a basic portfolio please and ready for more this tutorial will show you how to:
- Add more categories
- Create additional content to your portfolio
- Setup Pinboard options
- Handeling content with your main page
- Integrate the portfolio topic and sub-topics to your navigation
At the end you should be able to work with categories in a portfolio and set them up properly.
1) Add more categories
In some cases to have only one category in a portfolio is not enough. Therefore you can add more categories into the portfolio. These categories will show up like a new navigation bar on top of your posts in the portfolio only.
- Goto “Post/Categories”
- Add a new category “Portfolio” only if you didn’t follow the basic tutorial. Otherwise you already have this category and skip this step.
- Add a second category “Images”. This time you choose “Portfolio” in the dropdown box at “Parent” for sub-categories.
- In the box for all categories the “Image” category should be below the “Portfolio” category and marked as a child category by a leading hyphen.
- If not, delete the “Images” category, go two steps back and try again until you succeed.
- Add a third category “Animals” and make it a sub-category of the “Portfolio” category too.
- Finally “Portfolio” should have the two child-categories “Images” and “Animals”
2) Add more content
Now it’s time to add some more content. Always remember that a portfolio always shows only the headline and an attached thumbnail. No thumbnail attached – no image on your portfolio overview page.
- In the previous manual we created a post and named it “Example 1″
- Create two more post and name them “Example 2″ and “Example 3″
- In the dedicated box “Categories” choose the “Portfolio” category for “Example 1″ post
- Choose the “Images” category for “Example 2″ post
- Choose the “Animals” category for “Example 3″ post
- Add a thumbnail to each post (recommended)
- Add images and copy to each post (optional)
- In the dedicated box “Template” you can choose how each post should like like (optional)
- Publish the pages
In case you followed the previous tutorial how to setup a basic portfolio you can now skip step 3-5 as you already did all the following steps already.
3) Choose your portfolio category
- Goto “Appearance/Theme Options”
- Scroll down to the “Portfolio Page” section
- Choose “Portfolio” from the “Portfolio Category” dropdown
4) Hide your portfolio post from the main page (optional)
Most people not want to show their post in the portfolio at the main page. If you’re one of them.
- Goto “Appearance/Theme Options”
- Scroll down to the “Home Page” section
- Tick “Exclude Portfolio Category from main loop” at the “Exclude Portfolio” option
5) Add the portfolio to your navigation
We have to show the world where to find our portfolio.
- Goto “Appearance/Menu”
- Scroll down to the dedicated “Pages” box (not Category)
- Tick “Portfolio” and add them to the menu
- The new entry will appear in the “Menue” box
- Inside the box you can drag & drop the entry to its place
- Click the “Save Menue” button!
6) Add more submenu topics (optional)
If you want you can add the two new categories “Images” and “Animals” as well to your menu.
– Goto “Appearance/Menu”
– Scroll down to the dedicated “Category” box (not Pages)
– Tick “Portfolio” and add them to the menu
– The new entry will appear in the “Menue” box
– Inside the box you can drag & drop the entry to its place
– Click the “Save Menue” button!
AND THAT’S IT !!!
After a reload of your site you will see a new entry in the navigation named “Portfolio”. Clicking on the new entry you will see all your portfolio post and on top of them all your sub- (or child-) categories, in this case “Images” and “Animals”. By clicking on one of them you will find the main category “Portfolio” on top of them as well, replacing the category you are actually browsing.
I hope you like the tutorial and it was helpful for you.